Using our guides
Our occupation and industry guides help you to complete your tax return, use these guides to:
- work out what income and allowances to declare
- check if you can or can’t claim work-related expenses as a deduction
- find out what records you need to keep.
To claim a deduction for work-related expenses, you must meet the 3 golden rules:
- You must have spent the money and you weren’t reimbursed.
- The expense must directly relate to earning your income.
- You must keep records that show you incur the expense (usually a receipt).
We tailor our occupation and industry specific guides to address common expense claims we see as deductions in your occupation or industry. Use the table below to access either:
- the complete occupation or industry guide including income, expenses, record keeping and examples
- select the link in the left column of the table
- read the content online
- the PDF summary of common work-related expenses for your occupation or industry, you can
- select the link in the right column of the table to open the PDF
- you can download as a PDF.
Information in other languages
A summary of the common work-related expenses for your occupation or industry may be available in your language:
- Select your language from the other languages’ homepage.
- Select the heading Individuals.
- Check the list, to see if a deductions summary for your occupation or industry is available.